Carlos has extensive experience in the financial sector as an in-house lawyer at three different local banks (1995-2000 and 2007-2008) and also as a consultant in the Special Situations area (insolvency and restructuring) at the former Inter-American Investment Corporation, today the financial arm of IDB Invest ( Washington DC 2001-2002).
Carlos was deputy director (2004-2007) of the Specialized Unit on Money Laundering, Economic Crimes and Organized Crime of the National Prosecutor’s Office of the Public Ministry, where he attended courses on property investigations in matters of money laundering in Colombia, Guatemala and Switzerland. In that position, he was involved in transnational money laundering investigations with the German Federal Police, the Colombian National Police and the Dutch Police, in addition to intervening in money laundering trials in Chile.
He was General Counsel (2008-2018) and Compliance Manager (2012-2016) of Moneda Asset Management and all the subsidiaries of the group, in which he directly advised on the creation of local and foreign investment funds, as well as in their business, transactions, litigation and operations carried out by said funds, both in Chile and abroad.
- Lawyer, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile (1993).
- Master of Laws, Mention in International Business Law, American University, Washington College of Laws (2001).
- Diploma of Specialization in Economics and Finance for lawyers, Faculty of Economics, University of Chile (1998).
- Diploma on Administrative Litigation, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2018).
- Fintech Course: Innovation and Open Finance, Universidad del Desarrollo (2023).
- Highly Recommended in Compliance (2021, 2022).
- Recommended in Dispute Resolution / White Collar Crime (2021, 2022).
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
Carolina has vast experience in matters related to investments by Chilean pension funds. In particular, she has advised several foreign fund managers on the approval processes for their mutual funds, exchange traded funds and closed-end funds before the Chilean Risk Rating Committee (Comisión Clasificadora de Riesgo – CCR) and in related registration processes in the Foreign Securities Registry kept by the Financial Market Commission (Comisión para el Mercado Financiero – CMF) for public offering in the Chilean market. She has also participated actively in structuring local public funds acting as feeder funds of foreign private equity funds, thus giving pension funds exposure to this investment alternative.
Previously she served as Senior Associate at Guerrero Olivos (2008- 2014). Before that, she worked as Senior International Analyst at the Chilean Risk Rating Committee (Comisión Clasificadora de Riesgo – CCR) (October 1997 – February 2008). In 1995, she worked as a Research Analyst at Sociedad de Fomento Fabril (SOFOFA).
Degree in business administration with mention in Economics from Universidad Gabriela Mistral, summa cum laude (1996).
Juan Andrés knowledge and experience focuses in tax, corporate and family businesses matters, providing legal advice in such areas, including national, international, general and hereditary tax planning. Throughout his professional career, he has participated in projects related to corporate, M&A, financial and stock market matters, as well as business reorganizations and all kind of tax planning. He also has experience acting before the Chilean Internal Revenue Service and the Tax and Customs Courts on behalf of Chilean and foreign clients.
Previously (2011-2015) he worked as an associate lawyer in the tax and corporate areas in the law firm Del Rio & Compañía, advising clients both at corporate and personal / family level.
Attorney, Universidad de Los Andes (2009).
Master’s degree in Taxation Law, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington D.C. (2016).
Master’s degree in Taxation from the School of Economics and Business, Universidad de Chile (2018).
- Corporate Tax (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
Mauricio has extensive experience advising the development and operation of projects in the energy, mining, and infrastructure industries. His trajectory highlights the legal support to multinational companies in their investment decisions in Chile, the development and financing of greenfield energy projects, the advice of large-scale copper mines in the management of their legal requirements, participation in public and private infrastructure tenders and M&A operations of conventional and renewable energy assets.
He worked between 2007 and 2011 as an associate in the infrastructure and natural resources practice at Aninat Schwencke y Cía. Between 2011 and 2013, he acted as Chief Legal Advisor of the National Irrigation Commission and –after obtaining a master’s degree from the University of Dundee in 2014– he developed a career as an in-house lawyer, first at Generadora Metropolitana (formerly Biobío Genera) as Legal Coordinator, and then as the Senior Lawyer of Antofagasta Minerals in charge of attending the legal requirements of its 3 mining operations in the Antofagasta Region.
In the academic field, Mauricio has published and collaborated in various publications in Chile, United Kingdom and Germany, on matters such as the regulation of access to critical infrastructure, the development of policies to promote private investment in infrastructure, glaciers regulation and desalination policies, among others. The following publications are highlighted:
- “Chile: Energy Policy – Encyclopedia of Mineral and Energy Policy”, Editorial Springer, Berlin, 2018.
- “Shared-use mining infrastructure: Why it matters, and how to achieve it”, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford, 2015.
- “Modification of the irrigation promotion law: a boost to efficient and associative water management”, Water Law Acts (ADAg) No. 5-2015.
- “Rainwater and Valleys: Legal Nature and Practical Implications”, Proceedings of the XIV Conference on Water Law, Nº3, p. 233-240, Thomson Reuters, 2013.
- Several opinion columns on infrastructure, energy and desalination.
Mauricio is a member of the Chilean Bar Association and partner of the Chilean Mining Chamber.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School (2000 – 2005).
- LLM in Natural Resources and Energy Law, Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law & Policy (CEPMLP), University of Dundee, UK (2014).
- Natural Resources and Energy Law Diploma, from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School (2011).
- Specialization Course in Structuring and Documenting Mining Transactions, Saint Andrews, UK (2014).