Sebastián is HD’s managing partner and founder, leading the area of capital markets and asset management, insurance and venture capital. He has a vast experience on corporate and financial matters, with special emphasis on the administration or asset management and collective investment vehicle (funds), structuring of financial products and derivatives, investment advisory, M&A, debt and/or equity issuances, IPOs, securities brokerage, as well as in advising and defending entities under supervision of the financial regulator.
Previously, joining HD, he worked as chief lawyer at Banchile Inversiones and subsequently he was a lawyer in various and recognized law firms in the country.
Since 2018 he has been accredited by the Committee for the Accreditation of Knowledge in the Securities Markets (CAMV).
He is a member of the Legal Committee of the Chilean Association of Investment Fund Administrators.
In his academic career, he has been a professor of the Master in Tax Law on capital market taxation at Universidad Diego Portales and also a professor in the Diploma on Certification of Investment Funds at Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez.
Lawyer, Universidad de los Andes (2004).
Master in Tax Management and Direction, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2008).
CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS
- Capital Markets (2019 a 2024).
- Leading Individual in Capital Markets (2020 a 2024).
- Capital Markets, Banking and Finance (2020).
- Capital Markets: Debt (2021 a 2023).
- Banking and Finance Law, Capital Markets Law, Venture Capital Law (2020 a 2024).
- Capital Markets in Chile (2019). Approved Capital Markets private practitioners in Chile. Sebastián Delpiano: Thought Leader.
- Capital Markets in Chile (2021).
- Recommended in M & A y Startups & Venture Capital (2021 a 2024).
Head of the Fintech and Banking Department. He has extensive experience in financial matters and digital markets, including digital payment processing systems, crypto-assets, digital loans, digital financial platforms, among others.
He also has vast knowledge in corporate matters, with emphasis on international transactions in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, capital markets and project finance. He actively advises the Legal Council of the Fintech Chile association, an association that brings together more than 90 Fintech companies with presence in Chile and Latin America.
In his professional development he has represented cryptocurrency exchanges, digital lending companies, structured financing to Fintech companies advising digital platforms, payment processors, among others.
He previously worked as a foreign associate in the New York offices of Shearman Sterling LLP (2009 – 2010) focusing on the Capital Markets practice, and was a partner at Morales Besa law firm (2012 – 2019). He is an Officer of the Banking Law Committee of the International Bar Association.
He has been recognized by the international rankings Chambers Partners, Legal 500, IFLRS 100, Leaders League, LACCA, among others.
Attorney, Universidad de los Andes (2004).
Master in Law (LL.M.), Duke University (2009).
CHAMBERS & PARTNERS
- Fintech (2022 – 2023)
- Capital Markets (2022).
THE LEGAL 500
- Leading Individual in Banking & Finance (2022 – 2023).
- Capital Markets (2019)
- Mergers & Acquisitions (2019).
- Banking and Finance (2020 a 2023).
- Project Finance (2020 a 2023).
- Capital Markets: Equity (2020 a 2023).
- M & A (2020 a 2023).
- Banking and Finance (2020 – 2023).
- Capital Markets (2020 – 2023).
- M&A (2020 – 2023).
- Project Finance (2020 – 2023).
- Fintech (2021 – 2023).
- Corporate and M&A (2021 – 2023).
- Banking and Finance (2021 – 2023).
- Competition & Antitrust (2022 – 2023).
- Banking, Capital Markets: Equity, M&A, Project finance (2017).
- Corporate governments (2020).
José Luis has a great deal of experience in arbitration and dispute resolution and in complex and innovative deals and transactions in civil and commercial areas.
He practiced as an attorney with Banco JP Morgan in Chile from 1981 to 1986. He then joined the firm Carey & Cía in 1986.
He founded his own firm in 1993 entitled Honorato, Russi y Eguiguren Ltda., and then left it in 2013 to create Honorato & Cía., which is now HD Legal, where he currently practices.
He is on the roster of arbitrators with the Santiago Chamber of Commerce Center for Arbitration and Mediation.
Attorney, Universidad de Chile (1982).
Graduate studies at the Academy of American and International Law, International and Comparative Law Center of the Southwestern Legal Foundation, Dallas, Texas, USA (1991).
THE LEGAL 500
- Dispute Resolution, Banking and Finance, Corporate and M & A (Including Compliance), Project and Infrastructure (2018).
- Banking and Finance, Corporate and M & A (2021).
- Banking and Finance (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice and Corporate and M & A (2018).
- Banking and Finance, Corporate and M & A, Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
- M & A (2021, 2022, 2023).
- Compliance (2021, 2022).
Gonzalo has vast experience in complex and innovative domestic and international corporate, financial and commercial transactions and in the development of projects related to energy, mining, public concessions and natural resources.
Between 2012 and 2014 he served as Of Counsel at Aninat Schwencke y Cía. Prior to that, he was a partner at Guerrero Olivos (2000-2012).
Gonzalo also worked as Corporate Area Counsel for The Chase Manhattan Bank in Santiago, Chile, and was an associate at Ossandón, Uribe y Hübner.
He is a member of the Best Practice Committee of the Santiago Stock Exchange and Chilean Electronic Exchange.
Attorney, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (1990).
Graduate studies at the Academy of American and International Law, International and Comparative Law Center of the Southwestern Legal Foundation, Dallas, Texas, USA (1993).
CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS
- Capital Markets (2019, 2020, 2021).
- Corporate and M&A (2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
THE LEGAL 500
- Dispute Resolution, Banking and Finance, Corporate and M&A (Including Compliance), Project and Infrastructure (2018).
- Corporate and M & A (2020, 2021).
- Leading Individual in Corporate and M&A (2022, 2023).
- Capital Markets, Project Development, Energy, Social Infrastructure (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
- Corporate and M&A Law, Derivatives, Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, Project Finance and Development Practice and Venture Capital Law (2018, 2019).
- Corporate and M&A Law, Derivates, Energy Law, Natural Resources Law, Private Equity Law, Project Finance and Development Practice, Structured Finance Law, Venture Capital Law (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
- Banking & finance in Chile (2019).
- Banking & finance, Energy in Chile (2021).
- Banking & Finance, Startups & Venture Capital, Corporate and M&A (2020). Strong Expertise and Recommended Lawyer.
- Corporate and M&A (2021, 2022, 2023).
Juan Ignacio has specialized in real estate, engineering and construction and project financing. He has participated in numerous residential, commercial and office real estate projects and on the negotiation and development of various construction projects in such diverse areas as hydroelectric plants, hotels, shopping centers and schools.
Between 2005 and 2009, he was the Chief Real Estate Attorney and then Corporate Chief Attorney at Salfacorp S.A. He later held the position of Chief Real Estate Attorney and Assistant Counsel for Empresas Socovesa between 2009 and 2013.
Attorney, Universidad de los Andes (2003).
Master’s degree in Tax Management and Consultancy, Universidad Adolfo Ibáñez (2010).
CHAMBERS AND PARTNERS
- Real Estate (2022, 2023).
THE LEGAL 500
- Banking and Finance, Real State (2018).
- Real Estate (2021, 2022, 2023).
- Real Estate Law (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
- Capital Markets, Banking and Finance, Corporate and M & A, Energy (2021).
- Real Estate (2021, 2022, 2023).
Rebeca has an extensive experience in advising legal entities in the design and implementation of effective compliance programs, prepared on the basis of the activities the Companies carried out, including the detection, treatment and mitigation of crime risk (especially those that could result in the emergence of Corporate Criminal Responsibility, in accordance with Law 20,393), corruption, financial and antitrust crimes, tax crimes, breaches of consumer matters, data protection, information security, and breaches in labor matters.
Rebeca has also advised on Due Diligence processes for the evaluation of the compliance and anti-corruption systems of different companies, reviewing their activities, programs, policies and controls, in order to detect and mitigate the risks of legal transmission of corporate criminal liability. In matters of litigation, she has concentrated her practice on complex criminal litigation, punitive procedures and defense.
In addition to being a partner at HD Compliance, since December 2019 she has been head of the Labor and Employment practice at HD Legal. Between 2015 and 2019 she served as Head of Compliance and Criminal Law Area at Morales & Besa Law Firm, where she also fulfilled functions as Crime Prevention Officer for different companies, acting with full independence and reporting directly to the Board of Directors. Previously, between 2012 and 2015, she worked as an associate in the Criminal Department at Claro & Cía.
Rebeca is a Professor of Criminal Law at Central University and Gabriela Mistral University, and in the Gender Perspective Diploma for change in organizations at the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Chile.
She is a member of the Chilean Bar Association A.G. since 2013; and Women In Compliance Chile, since 2018. She is also Executive Secretary of the World Compliance Association, Chilean Chapter, since 2020 and member of Transparent Chile since 2021.
Lawyer, University of Chile (2011).
Diploma in Tax Analysis and Planning, P. Universidad Católica de Chile (2015).
Diploma in Compliance and Good Practices, Universidad Católica de Chile (2018).
Diploma “Human Rights, Sexual Diversity and Public Policies”, F. Henry Dunant (2018).
Course on Unfair Administration and public corruption, Universidad de Chile (2019).
Cybersecurity Course, University of Chile (2020).
Compliance Management Systems. Requirements and interpretation ISO 37301:2021, International Dynamic Advisors (Intedya).
Master of Criminal Policy at the University of Salamanca (2020-2022).
Economics and Consumer Law (c) (2022-2023).
Fintech Course: Innovation and Open Finance, Universidad del Desarrollo (2023).
THE LEGAL 500
- Rising Star in Compliance (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Compliance (2019).
- Highly Recommended in Compliance (2021, 2022, 2023)
- Recommended in Competition & Antritrust (2022, 2023).
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice (2023).
Carlos has extensive experience in the financial sector as an in-house lawyer at three different local banks (1995-2000 and 2007-2008) and also as a consultant in the Special Situations area (insolvency and restructuring) at the former Inter-American Investment Corporation, today the financial arm of IDB Invest ( Washington DC 2001-2002).
Carlos was deputy director (2004-2007) of the Specialized Unit on Money Laundering, Economic Crimes and Organized Crime of the National Prosecutor’s Office of the Public Ministry, where he attended courses on property investigations in matters of money laundering in Colombia, Guatemala and Switzerland. In that position, he was involved in transnational money laundering investigations with the German Federal Police, the Colombian National Police and the Dutch Police, in addition to intervening in money laundering trials in Chile.
He was General Counsel (2008-2018) and Compliance Manager (2012-2016) of Moneda Asset Management and all the subsidiaries of the group, in which he directly advised on the creation of local and foreign investment funds, as well as in their business, transactions, litigation and operations carried out by said funds, both in Chile and abroad.
- Lawyer, Pontifical Catholic University of Chile (1993).
- Master of Laws, Mention in International Business Law, American University, Washington College of Laws (2001).
- Diploma of Specialization in Economics and Finance for lawyers, Faculty of Economics, University of Chile (1998).
- Diploma on Administrative Litigation, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile (2018).
- Fintech Course: Innovation and Open Finance, Universidad del Desarrollo (2023).
- Highly Recommended in Compliance (2021, 2022).
- Recommended in Dispute Resolution / White Collar Crime (2021, 2022).
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Practice (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
Carolina has vast experience in matters related to investments by Chilean pension funds. In particular, she has advised several foreign fund managers on the approval processes for their mutual funds, exchange traded funds and closed-end funds before the Chilean Risk Rating Committee (Comisión Clasificadora de Riesgo – CCR) and in related registration processes in the Foreign Securities Registry kept by the Financial Market Commission (Comisión para el Mercado Financiero – CMF) for public offering in the Chilean market. She has also participated actively in structuring local public funds acting as feeder funds of foreign private equity funds, thus giving pension funds exposure to this investment alternative.
Previously she served as Senior Associate at Guerrero Olivos (2008- 2014). Before that, she worked as Senior International Analyst at the Chilean Risk Rating Committee (Comisión Clasificadora de Riesgo – CCR) (October 1997 – February 2008). In 1995, she worked as a Research Analyst at Sociedad de Fomento Fabril (SOFOFA).
Degree in business administration with mention in Economics from Universidad Gabriela Mistral, summa cum laude (1996).
Juan Andrés knowledge and experience focuses in tax, corporate and family businesses matters, providing legal advice in such areas, including national, international, general and hereditary tax planning. Throughout his professional career, he has participated in projects related to corporate, M&A, financial and stock market matters, as well as business reorganizations and all kind of tax planning. He also has experience acting before the Chilean Internal Revenue Service and the Tax and Customs Courts on behalf of Chilean and foreign clients.
Previously (2011-2015) he worked as an associate lawyer in the tax and corporate areas in the law firm Del Rio & Compañía, advising clients both at corporate and personal / family level.
Attorney, Universidad de Los Andes (2009).
Master’s degree in Taxation Law, Georgetown University Law Center, Washington D.C. (2016).
Master’s degree in Taxation from the School of Economics and Business, Universidad de Chile (2018).
- Corporate Tax (2020, 2021, 2022, 2023).
Mauricio has extensive experience advising the development and operation of projects in the energy, mining, and infrastructure industries. His trajectory highlights the legal support to multinational companies in their investment decisions in Chile, the development and financing of greenfield energy projects, the advice of large-scale copper mines in the management of their legal requirements, participation in public and private infrastructure tenders and M&A operations of conventional and renewable energy assets.
He worked between 2007 and 2011 as an associate in the infrastructure and natural resources practice at Aninat Schwencke y Cía. Between 2011 and 2013, he acted as Chief Legal Advisor of the National Irrigation Commission and –after obtaining a master’s degree from the University of Dundee in 2014– he developed a career as an in-house lawyer, first at Generadora Metropolitana (formerly Biobío Genera) as Legal Coordinator, and then as the Senior Lawyer of Antofagasta Minerals in charge of attending the legal requirements of its 3 mining operations in the Antofagasta Region.
In the academic field, Mauricio has published and collaborated in various publications in Chile, United Kingdom and Germany, on matters such as the regulation of access to critical infrastructure, the development of policies to promote private investment in infrastructure, glaciers regulation and desalination policies, among others. The following publications are highlighted:
- “Chile: Energy Policy – Encyclopedia of Mineral and Energy Policy”, Editorial Springer, Berlin, 2018.
- “Shared-use mining infrastructure: Why it matters, and how to achieve it”, Blavatnik School of Government, University of Oxford, 2015.
- “Modification of the irrigation promotion law: a boost to efficient and associative water management”, Water Law Acts (ADAg) No. 5-2015.
- “Rainwater and Valleys: Legal Nature and Practical Implications”, Proceedings of the XIV Conference on Water Law, Nº3, p. 233-240, Thomson Reuters, 2013.
- Several opinion columns on infrastructure, energy and desalination.
Mauricio is a member of the Chilean Bar Association and partner of the Chilean Mining Chamber.
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School (2000 – 2005).
- LLM in Natural Resources and Energy Law, Centre for Energy, Petroleum and Mineral Law & Policy (CEPMLP), University of Dundee, UK (2014).
- Natural Resources and Energy Law Diploma, from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Law School (2011).
- Specialization Course in Structuring and Documenting Mining Transactions, Saint Andrews, UK (2014).